Sunday, October 12, 2008

Littlebee



I can't tell you why one of her nicknames is Littlebee. I have just called her that for a really long time. I think it was after an evolution of other nick names, but I can't remember for sure. So, she will always be my Littlebee.

She is a great kid. Anything she puts her mind to, she can accomplish. A little over a year ago, maybe it was two years ago, she proved that to me. Without going into a whole lot of detail, I had asked Meg to have a "contest" with me to see who could go the longest without eating sugar. Meg wanted absolutely nothing to do with that! But, Emily said that she would do it. The rules were simple, the first person to eat sugar lost. If I lost, I had to get her a digital camera, if I won, she bought me dinner. I thought I could win without any problem. A week after we started, I bought Bekah and Hannah some treats while we were watching the play Aladdin (which Meg and Em were in). They asked me to open their treats for them. After fourteen years of taking an openers fee, I automatically took a sip of soda, and a bite of a candy bar. Bekah was pretty quick to point out that I had lost. This was about a permanent change, so I told Em what had happened, and quickly asked if she would agree to start over, with me upgrading to a nicer camera if she lost. Which she agreed to do.

Here two years later, we have modified the rules somewhat, but we still have cut back drastically on the sugar intake. Once a week, we eat a treat with sugar. Holidays, birthdays, special occasions, and most of the month of December are also fair game. But, she is still going strong. She ended getting a nice Camera anyway.

Emily has a very compassionate heart. An experience from a couple of year ago, brought that into focus for me and Dawn. My Grandmother was in bad shape, and we were told that she wouldn't be around much longer. So I took my family to visit her, and to say goodbye. She was in bad shape. she wasn't lucid, and didn't have her prosthetic legs on her. She kept complaining about being so hot. All of my kids were uncomfortable seeing her like this, and all of them had the normal reaction of not wanting to witness that suffering. So we let them leave. Emily had a different reaction, she folded a paper fan, and tried to help Grandma cool off. I think I still have that paper fan. It still brings tears to my eyes when I think of the tender heart she has. Grandma died the next day.

Emily is quickly becoming a lovely young lady. She is progressing in many areas. I realized her singing is quite beautiful at auditions for this next play. She is taking chances that are scary. She decided to get on the student council, and she did it. There is nothing that she can't accomplish when she decides that's what she wants!

No comments: